June 20, 2019 | 10 Important Medical Facts Of Marijuana
By, Lauraine Kanders, ANP, ACNP-BC
Marijuana is a drug that is extracted from the cannabis plant. This is why marijuana is formally called “medical cannabis”. In this article, we will list out some 10 important medical facts about marijuana.
Throughout medical history, marijuana’s most common usage has been as a psychoactive drug. Although the drug induces hallucinogenic, depressant and stimulant effects on the brain, and some states still do not permit cannabis legally, it’s now legal-by-prescription in 33 states, and the general trend worldwide has been one of a growing realization of its medical and palliative effects, and hence, acceptance in medical circles as a good replacement for opioids and painkillers. Medical cannabis has slowly but surely become essential prescription for a host of medical conditions..
10 Important Medical Facts Of Marijuana
- Marijuana is extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant. This extract contains more than 100 chemical compounds, called cannabinoids. When ingested or inhaled, these compounds bind to specific receptors in the brain and nerve cells, which slows down pain impulses and thus eases discomfort Serious Nausea.
- The two most prevalent compounds are tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — which is what gives people a “high” — and cannabidiol or CBD .
- The importance of THC is that it helps in increasing the appetite and also has been clinically observed to help reduce nausea. THC strain helps to alleviate body aches. THC has also been shown to reduce inflammation, swelling, etc.
- Studies have shown that marijuana may help with certain age-related ailments, such as chronic pain, nausea and vomiting related to chemotherapy, and glaucoma.
- Both THC and CBD are essential medical drugs that work best together because of the Entourage Effect. These drugs are not just for recreational use, and this is the reason medical cannabis is useful for alleviating the ailments of the body.
- In states where marijuana is now legalized, your practitioner can prescribe the treatment if he or she feels it’s a viable treatment option. Dosages vary, depending on why you need it, medically speaking. For instance, 2 to 3 milligrams of marijuana may be prescribed two to four times per day to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Compared with other drugs medical marijuana can be used to treat patients in a variety of ways. Smoking is the fastest way to feel its effects, but has many of the same health risks as with smoking cigarettes and therefore, is not an option in New York at this time. The preferred methods are taking capsules, inhaling vapors, and oil tinctures.
- Although marijuana is a mind-altering drug, it does not appear to have a lasting effect on cognitive function in adults. For example, a small study from Harvard’s Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery (MIND) program studied the drug’s usage to treat and manage anxiety, chronic pain, post-traumatic stress disorder, and sleep problems. MIND found that after three months of use, the patients did not show signs of declining cognitive function. In fact, their executive function skills — like paying attention and managing time — actually improved.
- Know that the potential benefits of medical marijuana vary from patient to patient, and can be influenced by factors such as medical history, food intake, past usage and family predisposition.
- Note that the FDA has not approved the whole plant for medical use but just the extract. One should not take the medicine without the qualified practitioner’s prescription. It is both dangerous, as well as illegal, to do so. Keep in mind that Medicare and other insurance carriers do not cover medical marijuana.
Bonus: Some medical marijuana dispensary tips
- Finding a pharmacy that keeps authentic cannabis is vital. You can google “medical marijuana dispensary near me” or save a lot of time by visiting PotNewYork.net.
- One should look for a pharmacy that has proper inventory. Some dispensaries oversell their products too quickly. Inquire before you purchase.
- Check online customer reviews – these are also helpful to know the quality of the service of the dispensary. One should find a reputable dispensary when it comes to buying medical cannabis.
- Find a dispensary that offers discounts. They are like any other retail store; they want your business!
Read more here: Five Key Factors To Find the Best Medical Marijuana Dispensary.
At Medical Marijuana Recs NY, we provide our visitors with online video chats to become certified for Medical Marijuana in New York State. Our group of NPs and doctors strive towards helping get certified. Click here to see if you qualify!